When Winter Hits Hard
Not being mindful of the pipes along outside walls during negative temperatures can be an expensive lesson to learn.
When winter comes-you can have "faith" in SERVPRO. Frozen pipes that can break and cause flooding as well as other types of water and fire damage that can cause trouble to your home or business are never convenient.
At SERVPRO, "we can manage the damage" and have been helping customers deal with disaster for over 50 years. SERVPRO has the Experience, Equipment, and Expertise.
Besides water and fire damage, we do mold mitigation and remediation; move outs and content restoration. We can handle document drying, but we also clean carpets, upholstery, drapes, and hard floors. We can tackle bio-hazard, crime scene, and vandalism which can include board-ups. We service Adams, Crawford, Vernon, Monroe, Juneau Counties, everywhere in between, and along I-90. Please call your #WeAreLocal GREEN team at 608-487-9758 if you have any questions.
Four Common Causes of Indoor Flooding in the Adams, Crawford, Vernon, South Monroe, South Juneau Counties Area
From dishwashers, to toilets, to washing machines, SERVPRO has you covered with the mitigation cleanup.
A long time ago, before indoor plumbing became a huge success, there wasn't a huge threat of water in the home.
Nowadays, with multiple bathrooms, wash machines, dishwashers, ice makers, and sinks, our homes and businesses are filled with pipes bringing water in and out. Indoor flooding is one of the leading causes of water damage and can be successfully mitigated by SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, South Monroe, South Juneau Counties.
- Leaking or broken pipes are the most obvious cause of indoor flooding. Changes in water pressure or faulty setup can cause pipes to burst.
- Water heaters are a necessity in our homes for showering or washing dishes. Even a small leak in a tank that holds 250 gallons at any given time, can cause major flooding due to the endless flow. Keeping on the maintenance of your heater is a good practice to get into.
- Minor clogging and slowing down of drains may be an inconvenience, but over time if left, these clogs can cause potentially big damage.
- Washing machines are a nice thing to have in your home due to their convenience and ease. The most common problem found with them, though, is a leaking intake hose and can worsen over time.
You can’t control when a flood hits your home or business. Thankfully, if you can recognize the common causes of indoor flooding, you’ll be prepared to prevent floods before they happen and handle them when they strike.
If you are in need of water mitigation services in the Adams, Crawford, Vernon, South Monroe, South Juneau areas, give your #WeAreLocal GREEN Team a call for help 608-487-9758.
Heavy Rain and Commercial Roofs
Owners of commercial buildings should have their roofs maintained and serviced on a regular basis. Be aware of damages that can occur.
Sitting in his office of a major law firm in downtown Wisconsin Dells, John felt a light sprinkle hit his hand as he was checking his email.
"Maybe it was just in my mind" he said to himself as he brushed the feeling off as accident. Then came another drip....and another.....John looked to the ceiling to find one of the ceiling tiles with a ring of moisture.
There were strong winds and rain in the prior week but today was sunny and not a cloud in the sky. It was obvious to John that something wasn't right so he contacted his building's maintenance manager and asked him to take a look.
The maintenance manager knew the water was coming from the roof , and that it was probably one of the 5 problems that normally cause water damages in commercial roofs.
- DAMAGED PERIMETER FLASHING
- OPEN ROOF PENETRATIONS
- ROOFING MEMBRANE DAMAGE
- AGE OF THE ROOFING SYSTEM
- PONDING WATER OR CLOGGED DRAINAGE
Once the source was identified the work began to clean up the damaged building materials that the leak had caused. Trying to do this while still keeping the office running meant calling SERVPRO to help mitigate the damage.
SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, South Monroe, and South Juneau arrived and in a short amount of time, had the ceiling tiles removed and equipment set. It took only 3 days to dry everything out completely. A roofer was called in to assess the roof. Repairs where finished up just as the next system was coming through.
The office was unscathed this time around.
Football is More Important then Supper...?
A fire started on top of the stove in this home. Not only was the stove affected, but the upper cabinets and ceiling throughout the entire home.
Why does the last 5 minutes of a football game on TV seem to take an hour? You decided to make that salmon dish your uncle was telling you about so you prepped for it first thing this morning.
Start of the 4th quarter you decided to put it into the oven right as your team fell behind 14 points and the game seemed over.
That's when the magic started! The rookie they just drafted gets put in the game and the biggest comeback in franchise history starts.
They tie up the game with 10 seconds left as the wide receiver torched the defender. Torched him so bad you can smell the burning as if you were there.
Wait.....that's not torched defender...that's your Salmon burning in the oven!
It's happened to us all, we see it every day. If this happens to you call SERVPRO and we'll come out, asses the damage, and help return your home back to 'Like it never even happened'.
Not all smoke and soot are the same, and trained professionals like we have at SERVPRO know how to deal with each type that occurs.
Smoke and Soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
We are here to help @ 608-487-9758.
Untreated Fire and Smoke
A local university suffered a fire in one of its dorms. With an immediate response, SERVPRO is able to reduce the severity of the damage.
Fire and smoke damage can wreak havoc to your personal property and structures. A quick reaction can help you minimize the impact of the destruction as some of your household goods can be cleaned and salvaged if treated immediately. You should, therefore, hasten the process of hiring a professional to help you manage the damage in a correct manner. Conversely, if left untreated, smoke and fire damage can be more devastating in the following ways:
The restoration cost increases
When the treatment process is extended, the damages begin to get worse and more difficult to deal with. If smoke goes untreated for long, the odors become more persistent and more difficult to neutralize. These challenges make the treatment process harder and more time consuming and ultimately more expensive.
Smoke and ash can mix with water to produce a very corrosive element. If not cleaned quickly, this corrosive substance begins to slowly corrode away walls, floors, ceilings and any other surfaces in your home. Cleaning up quickly with soap and water is not enough. The substance requires proper cleaning with appropriate chemicals to remove it completely in order to contain the damages.
Neutralizing of soot residual and deposits is an effective first clean up step. If left for long, soot can easily travel and penetrate into other rooms that weren't affected by the fire, staining the wall paint, carpet, furniture, drapes, clothing and any other household items.
Your property can suffer permanent damage if not treated in a timely manner. Damage begins to set in within hours and prolonged exposure may cause permanent harm to your walls which turns yellow, metal surfaces begins to corrode, clothes stain permanently and wooden furniture which may need refinishing. It also damages the floor which may need replacement.
Following a fire, it is necessary to seek smoke treatment immediately to save yourself from the effects of prolonged exposure to smoke and to make it easier for you to restore your home. In case you suspect some smoke damage in your residence and need smoke cleanup, water damage cleanup or storm damage repair contact your #WeAreLocal GREEN team, SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, and So. Juneau Counties.
Flooding Can Happen with the Rain in Adams, Crawford, Vernon, Monroe, and Juneau Counties.
Flooding has been a regular occurrence over the last few years in our area. Be sure to take the necessary steps to clean it up properly.
Here in our area, torrential rains can often cause flooding especially in the spring and summer times. When floods damage your home or business, give your locally owned and operated SERVPRO the opportunity to help you throughout the cleanup and restoration process. Our team has the training, expertise, and tools necessary to help you recover quickly from a flood. Cleaning up after a flood requires patience and persistence, and is often an overwhelming task for homeowners and business owners. However, if you decide to do the cleanup yourself, here are our best 7 tips for cleaning up after a flood:
- Wear Protective Clothing. Floodwaters carry potentially hazardous chemicals, bacteria, debris, and even wildlife. It is imperative that anyone starting the cleanup process wears steel-shank and toed boots, mid-arm rubber gloves, eye protection, and heavy clothing.
- Use Proper Equipment. As soon as it is safe to go back into your home or business, extract the standing water with a wet/dry vacuum. Using fans and portable dehumidifiers throughout will also help to speed up the process. If electricity has been cut to your home, use a generator and extension cords designed for outdoor use.
- Remove Furniture.If possible, place water damaged furniture outdoors to dry, preferably out of direct sunlight.
- Remove Carpet.Carpet that has been saturated by floodwaters will need to be thrown out. Cut into narrow strips, roll, and dispose of properly. Be mindful that carpet and padding will be extremely heavy when waterlogged. Rent a dumpster to aid in the disposal.
- Scrub Hard Surfaces. Use a combination of soap and hot water and then a sanitizing mixture of bleach and water to scrub all of the hard surfaces including floors, walls, counter tops, and others items to kill the potentially dangerous bacteria carried by the water. Purchase a large supply of buckets, sponges, stiff scrub brushes, and paper towels.
- Apply Mold Inhibitors.In our area, mold starts to develop within 48 hours of water damage. Once the water has been extracted, the drywall, insulation, and carpeting have been removed, and all surfaces have been disinfected and dried, apply a commercially available mold inhibitor. This step will help prevent the need for mold remediation in the future.
- Research Restoration Tips. When water damages personal items like photos, antiques, clothing, or fine art, it can be tempting to throw them in the dumpster with the other damaged items. However, there is a chance that with proper restoration, these items can be salvaged. It is important to use the techniques and processes professional emergency flood restoration teams utilize.
Severe weather is common in our area, and SERVPRO ensures that all of our team members have the training and the equipment necessary to restore properties to their pre-flood condition. We are honored to be a preferred service provider for many national insurance companies, allowing us to coordinate directly with them, saving you time and frustration. Call on us whenever disaster strikes; we serve our community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, and So. Juneau Counties is Faster to Any Size Disaster, helping residential and commercial property owners when natural disasters, water damage, sewage backups, floods, fires, mold infestations, and other events happen.
The following recommendations can help property owners to get repairs completed quickly:
Hire a Qualified Contractor
The contractor will evaluate damage to the property. This is important since some damage may not be immediately obvious to the untrained eye. The contractor may then inform the insurance adjuster as to the damages that should be covered under the property owner's policy. It is important to get started on loss mitigation efforts as soon as possible after the damage has occurred. The property owner should not wait on their insurance company to act as damage may worsen significantly in a short period. Instead, they should hire a reputable contractor to get started on the work.
It is important to note that unqualified contractors may try to get business by canvassing communities after a destructive storm. Property owners should be on the lookout for scammers and avoid hiring people without examining their credentials. The chosen contractor should be fully licensed and qualified. The property owner should ask to see their credentials and references. It is possible to verify licensing online. The contractor should be willing to provide a written contract that includes start and end times for the work as well as a warranty.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Hoarding Situations in Adams, Crawford, Vernon, Monroe, and Juneau Counties can be Cleaned Up by SERVPRO
When things are accumulated, it can be too much for someone to deal with, so calling by SERVPRO, we are here to help make it better.
What used to be…Once upon a time not so long ago, there was a quaint little store located in a quiet little town. The store was doing great and was a nice addition to the down town area.
One day, the owner's husband passed away unexpectedly, leaving her in shambles. She began to move on by putting all of her energy and focus into her store. Soon, she had begun to acquire so much merchandise, that she had run out of shelf space.
Boxes and totes, even closets began to expand with all of the stuff that she was bringing in. The little town's people became concerned. The city called in their #WeAreLocal SERVPRO to help with the situation. Not only were all three floors of this once beautiful building full, but the basement and the garage were also filled to the brim!
When traumatic things happen, some people are unsure of how to cope. This owner bought things to fill the emptiness inside and created for herself a very dangerous living situation. With the help of SERVPRO, we were able to save the building and the woman's home.
Cleaning is a Top Priority for SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, Monroe, and Juneau Cunties
This extremely filthy tub is just an example of some of the different things that SERVPRO has been asked to clean.
The same people you trust after a fire or water disaster, can also keep your business clean year- round.
Why is that?
The specialists at SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, and So. Juneau Counties are trained in every category of clean.
From mold remediation to the cleaning of carpets, upholstery to general and quarterly routine cleaning - including floors, tiles, partition walls, internal walls, suspended ceilings, lighting, furniture, and windows--to deep cleaning- SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, and So. Juneau Counties is here to help protect every square foot of your business!
Our comprehensive system takes the task of maintaining a clean work facility out of your hands, allowing you to work more effectively on your business.
Need an extra pair of hands?
SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, and So. Juneau Counties is your #WeAreLocal #1 GREEN team to call in 24/7/365.
Storm Damage is no Laughing Matter for SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, South Monroe and South Juneau Counties
After recent storms, a local business suffers damage that SERVPRO took care of right away.
Storm damage can occur at any time and can cause an immense amount of harm to your home. Heavy rains can cause flooding and powerful winds can cause roof damage and downed trees. Some post-damage can create safety and health hazards as well, so having a plan to deal with the damage will help you to be ready to take steps immediately following the storm.
Take Safety Precautions
Heavy winds and rain can create physical hazards such as collapsed roofing materials, window damage, collapsed walls or standing water in the basement or home interior. In addition, moisture can soak into furniture, carpeting, and building materials making the perfect environment for mold growth that can cause health issues. Shut off the main gas line if you smell gas. Beware of broken glass, exposed nails, and other sharp objects on the property. Contact SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, & So. Juneau Counties to help do basic tasks to secure your property and make it safe to use. If necessary, arrange for an alternative place for you and your family to live while your property is being restored to safe living condition.
Photograph the Damage
If it is safe to move around your property, use your cellphone or a camera to photograph the damage so that you will have a record for your insurance company. This action will ensure that you are fully compensated.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Contact your insurance agent to notify them about the damage to your home immediately. The company will send out an adjuster to determine the extent of the damage so that payment for repairs can be made.
Your Restoration Company
- Whether it is a business or residence, the restoration company will come to your property and their trained experts will do a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of your building. This will help them discover the level of the damage. In many cases, the restoration company will discuss the renovation plans with you and your insurance adjuster.
- When everything is agreed upon, the work begins. Depending on what type of damage is present, this will determine the type of equipment the professional will use. In the case of flooding, they will use specialized pumps and vacuums to remove water from the affected areas.
- Generators will be brought in to operate their dehumidifiers and air movers so mold and mildew do not have a change to make matters worse. Using customized cleaners, the specialist will then disinfect hard surfaces and shampoo salvageable carpets as well as apply deodorant to combat any odors.
IF SERVPRO of Adams, Crawford, Vernon, So. Monroe, & So. Juneau Counties is contacted in time, they will be able to rescue your home from greater structural issues. Let your #WeAreLocal GREEN team be your expert storm response team.
Mold Testing Now Available After Storm Season
Our technicians can perform moisture checks to ensure the work you did dried everything out. Mold testing is available.
With the changing of the leaves, comes changes in the weather. We are coming into a much windier time of year. Hopefully, the rain will slow down before the snow starts to fly.
Were you lucky enough to NOT have water come into your home or business over the last few months?
Did water or sewer make its way into your lower levels and you cleaned it up by yourself? Now, you have a smell that you don't like...? Can't put your finger on where it is coming from??
When one chooses to cleanup a water damage by themselves, things tend to get missed sometimes. Your #WeAreLocal GREEN Team is available to do moisture checks and mold testing. It's a simple process where we double check that the work you did dried everything out.
For that funny smell, we offer mold testing to see if that is what it really is.
Have further questions or want to schedule your estimate? Give us a call at 608-487-9758.